How can we Jolt the Colleges with new ideas?!

Food trade system within student houses/flats.

One of the biggest problems I've encountered with student life regards food. I often see lots of food go to waste because its expiry date has been reached. In addition I see lots of food items duplicated several times amongst fridge shelves, not only does this take up precious space but also leads to unnecessary waste.
To combat this problem a food trading system should be put in place whereby students write up what they don't need on a white board in their kitchen and others offer a trade.
This has many positive effects to both the university and the student. Not only will Lancaster's waste numbers fall, saving on removal expenses, students will also save money on food as less of it goes to waste. Furthermore it induces diversity into student diets as each person offers different ingredients, this leads to a healthier more balanced diet, something I'm sure many of us need.
it also encourages a social interaction where students can develop skills to take away with them for use in later life. Such skills like budgeting as well as developing skills in trading and food management.
Implementing this system would cost very little and would return 10 fold in savings in the long run and compliment Lancaster's 'Green' movement.

69 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Jake Hutchinson shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

0 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...

Feedback and Knowledge Base